Friday, August 22, 2008

Weezer "Troublemaker" video shoot

Yesterday I had one of the most fun, amazing days of my life. I was somehow picked and invited to participate in a day of World Record breaking attempts and to be in the new Weezer video for Troublemaker. This post is going to be very long, just a warning to you all before you click! I'm going to put a few pics in here, but I'll link to my photobucket at the end so whoever wants to can see them all. :D

Scott




I woke up at 5:30 am, got ready quickly and headed out to the LA Forum, where the day's activities were taking place. Took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get there, and I was surprised at how few people were there so far. I was number 18 to get in; I guess they only ended up accepting as many people as the needed for the various activities. We started with 100 in the morning, and by the big video shoot at the end of the day we were up to 250+.

I had dressed in red (we were told to dress in red or black; the only red I had was an old thrift store shirt, so I'm "Renee" in those :P) to split up into teams, but that ended up not happening and we were just split into 50/50 for the dodge ball game. I haven't played dodge ball since like sixth grade, but it was still really fun, even if our team did lose all three games played.

More db


Next we hung out in the holding pen for awhile, trying to drink water and stay cool as it had heated up a lot by then. I wandered over to the shooting site, and managed to make it on on the tail end of creating the largest Weezer logo out of nachos! It didn't break a world record (the Guinness World Records guy explained "we don't have a category for this!") but it was still really funny.

Karl and the nachos


The band showed up after that, and Rivers was dressed like a cholo, complete with baggy shorts, pulled up socks, a wife beater, hair net, and fake tattoos. Hilarious look; I don't have a pic of him (he wasn't into getting pictures with fans, which is cool) but a friend I made managed to take one at least, so hopefully I can yoink it from her (hi Cristal!).

Rivers did a shot for the video of him "breaking" the record for longest length anyone has pulled a station wagon full of fans with their teeth. Yeah...it was pretty sweet to see that. Then Pat did a record for playing the tiniest drum kit in a music video. It was seriously small and darling, and he had the tiniest little drum sticks ever! Later in the day, Brian did a record for longest cord in a rock video; he was at one end of the Forum parking lot and we were all at the other end. He was rocking out over there all alone, while a camera on a cart ran along the cord at him; should be a pretty cool shot.

Pat on set


We got to break for food finally; the crew bought us Pizza Hut. We were all starving and wilting in the heat at that point, so it was like the best pizza of my life even though it was super greasy and nasty.

Let's see, other awesome things we did throughout the day: world's largest air guitar performance (that was a blast), got to see four dudes break the record for longest time playing Guitar Hero, the Hootenanny (so effectively, I actually played in a band with Weezer! I rocked that tambourine, let me tell you)...there was just so much it's hard to remember the order it all went down!

We shot the video shoot last. Weezer would play through the entire song and we were instructed to "rock out" in the background. I was right behind Scott and Rivers, so I should be in the background there, dancing around like a complete dork.

Scott and Rivers


And the coup de gras, the custard pie fight! There were 120 of us, each with one pie, and we had to go at it for one minute to break the world record. The whistle blew, pie started flying, and it was absolutely insane. I ran up to a dude and said "are you ready?" and he yelled "do it!" so I smashed a pie in his face. Then I found a guy to smash one in my face; luckily I got a banana one and not a tapioca one.

I had to drive through Inglewood to get home, covered in pie, and I was home for about 10 minutes and Scott said "go take a shower, you smell like bananas." Both those things made me laugh a lot.

It was an unmatchable experience all in all. I am so glad I got to go, and I can't wait to see myself looking like a dumbass in the video!

Post pie fight


Click here for my pics

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pics! thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

My name is Kris and I wanted to say thanks for posting those photos! I found myself in a couple of them, I am the only one wearing ALL RED. Thanks for hanging out with me and giving me the lead on when to do certain moves while air guitaring. Oh and also looking out for me when creepy younger guys try to stalk me :) Overall it was a blast! I hope you had as great a time as I did!

A Lam said...

I was there too, but didn't get a chance to chit chat with ya... I canNOT wait to see the video!! It was the most awesomest day evah!

ps-I wasn't told to wear black or red... I was wondering how that happened... I just figured it was for the red album...